There was an article on a social media platform titled, “Most important books to read for success”. Since I am a professional organizer and business owner, my first response was curiosity at the names of the books and then I thought to myself, “no thank you”. Some of these people read a lot and I wondered, “When do they have time to grocery shop, cook, dishes, laundry, and clean? They must have other people doing that.” Then I thought, “Well, those books really don’t appeal to me.”
My next response was looking inward and doing an assessment of all the books I read. Over the next couple weeks, I discovered a surprise about myself; I may be reading multiple books at the same time. In my OCD world I would think that was crazy, but in my ADD life it works. I don’t use those acronyms lightly and I’m not making fun of anybody because they were diagnosis given to me and things I’ve had to work through.
My current list books that I am reading
- Entrepreneurial You by Dori Clark. I’m learning great business ideas
- LinkedIn for Business by Entrepreneur magazine. I’m applying specific strategies on this social media platform
- Girl Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis. This is a self-help book for myself and things that I can share with my clients
- Life Lists for Women by Christian Art publishing. This is a devotional book for myself.
- The Holy Bible is my spiritual foundation
- Max Lucado is a weekly devotion that I do with my husband and I must admit it really helps to open up communication.
- Chick novels, I just kind a give my mind a break, see different writing strategies, and just love to disappear into the stories.
Disclaimer: I don’t read books every day, but they are very active. If I had to guess how many books, I purchase within a year, it could a dozen. If the first couple of pages of a book doesn’t move or interest me, I give it away.
I want to encourage you, that whether you choose: books, blogs or magazine articles, to read. It is important to always be: learning, encouraging, and motivating yourself.
Lisa Giesler, Author, Speaker, Consultant