Thanksgiving is officially over. Are preparing for Christmas? Since September the stores have seemed to be in full swing. Have you finished your shopping? Have you even started? By the time you read this blog, I hope to have my tree up. Between running a business, life’s bumps, family; I totally understand the challenges and stress of trying to get things done. My goal this season, is pretty simple, other than keeping up with paperwork and laundry, is to have a beautiful and memorable holiday.
Now, enough of me, let’s get to some holiday tips for you:
- Start with a plan. A builder never builds a home without a plan.
- Set a budget. Set a cap for your spending for everything, consider decorating, entertaining, and gift giving.
- Fill out your agenda. Set time on your calendar to accomplish the tasks of shopping, decorating, gift wrapping, holiday baking and parties to attend. (Sync your calendar with your phone to stay on top of your appointments.)
- Don’t overdo it. Keep things simple is my motto. Instead of trying to decorate and organize every nook and cranny of the home for Christmas, concentrate on a fabulous tree or decorating the parts of your home where you will have guests.
- Start a family tradition. Since I was a little girl, my family bakes cookies the week of thanksgiving. I am so happy that my sons still enjoy that tradition. Some years it is very large event with company and some years it is very simple.
- One new tradition is instead of a massive meal, is a simple meal with a family favorite and something new to eat.
- After you decorate the tree, discard or donate unused ornaments and decorations. My favorite way to store and organize Christmas decorations are large bins with red and green lids to signify Christmas. If you haven’t put away the fall decorations, buy orange and brown containers for them.
- Consider organizing one closet or cabinet. I recently had a client find gifts that she had bought for last year while setting up for the holidays this year. We got a good laugh out of that and she has decided to use them this year. It saved her time and money.
Lisa Giesler, Professional Organizer, Consultant, Speaker, and Author of Uncluttered: discovering strength and purpose in the chaos of life